For most women and especially those experiencing hair loss and thinning hair, hair extensions are a godsend. They not only give you the look of long, luscious, voluminous locks anytime, they also give you the ability to style your hair any way you want and feel absolutely amazing.
Hair extensions however are not exactly like your own hair and therefore need to be given extra care in order to last long. This means keeping them tangle-free, damage-free and of course, keeping them clean with the right shampoo.
The Difference between Your Hair and Hair Extensions
While hair extensions may look and feel just like your regular hair, they are of course very different. Hair extensions are not really attached to your scalp, which is typically the source of hair’s nutrients and natural oils that keep it healthy and moisturised. Without proper care and maintenance, hair extensions will degrade, and will look and feel vastly different to your natural hair.
Related: Hair Extensions - How do they work?
For this reason, it’s important to pick the right products that will keep your hair extensions clean and at the same time adequately moisturised.
The Best Shampoo for Hair Extensions
There are many different shampoos and other products in the market today claiming to be the best for hair extensions. What’s really important when choosing a shampoo for hair extensions however is that it is sulfate- and paraben-free. These chemicals can be quite harsh and tend to make hair extensions fall out a lot easier. It’s best to opt for organic or more natural shampoos like Transitions’ Natural Shampoo as these are gentler on hair extensions.
Since hair extensions are no longer nourished and moisturised naturally, you’ll also need a shampoo that’s nourishing. A shampoo like the Nutrifuse Nourishing Shampoo for instance, is a good choice since it contains Keratin, Collagen and Argan Oil, which effectively nourish and moisturise hair extensions. For curly hair extensions you could try shampoos with coconut milk and coconut oils as these help keep frizz at bay and give your hair more smoothness and shine. Shampoos with shea butter are also good for keeping extensions moisturised and smooth.
Tips When Washing Hair Extensions
Of course, even the best shampoo will have little to no effect if you don’t wash and care for your hair extensions properly. Apart from choosing the right shampoo, take these tips to ensure that your lovely new locks are not only clean and moisturised but will also last a long time:
- Gently comb out tangles before washing hair extensions, and always be careful when washing them so as not to pull any of the hairs out.
- Don’t use hot water when washing hair extensions, or expose them too often to heat or hot tools as these can damage the hairs.
- Condition extensions at least once a month from the mid-shaft to the tips to keep them looking healthy and shiny.
- Avoid using alcohol-laden hair products as alcohol can cause dryness and frizz.
- After washing, dry extensions carefully by blotting them with a towel and letting them air dry.
- Never sleep with wet extensions on. If you must wear them while sleeping, make sure they are completely dry and braid them into pigtails to prevent tangles.
Looking for a good shampoo for your hair extensions? Look no further than Transitions Hair. Visit our shop now to view our available shampoos and other hair care products specifically made for hair extensions.