Alopecia Wig Review: Follea Gripper Wig
After using the Follea Gripper wigs for over a year, listening to my clients responses and their experiences, I felt it was time to write a review.
The Follea Gripper wig has been designed for those who suffer with Alopecia – especially Alopecia Totalis or Universalis – or those who choose to shave their head completely. If you still have plenty of hair and you wish to continue using it, this wig is not for you. However, those who are Alopecians (this is the name Alopecia community use for themselves) this innovative wig technology will be warmly welcomed.
The Criteria for a Successful Wig
The biggest concerns for wig users can be categorized in two ways: functionality and believability. Firstly, a wig must ‘function’, it needs to be comfortable, cool, breathable, fit correctl, be secure (so it won’t blow off in the wind) and have minimal maintenance – the less you have to fuss with your hair, the better. Secondly, ‘believability’, it must look natural and undetectable, it needs to be as close to your own growing hair as possible. The Follea Gripper wig excels in both of these areas.
Innovative Technology: What makes the ‘Gripper’ so good?
The Gripper wig is an innovation in wig technology. The secret to its success lies in a special proprietary silicone that ‘grips’ to the scalp. It is a very tactile substance that does not slide against the skin……. it grips. This silicone is placed around the perimeter and throughout the interior of the wig (on the ‘Sport’ model), when fitted correctly it becomes complete secure.
It has ‘Swish’ success! This means you can ‘swish’ your hair about, like Beyonce on the dance floor, and it won’t come off.
The concept of using a proprietary silicone to grip to the scalp is not new for us at Transitions, we have a similar wig in our Transitions Hair Premium Custom Collection called the ‘Totalis.’ It incorporates a similar ‘gripper’ technology and we have had many years of success with it. Follea has achieved a superior ‘grip’ to the scalp, as soon as you touch the silicone you become immediately aware that it will do what it claims – to grip to your scalp with total security. When fitted correctly it is extremely secure, removing the need for tapes or glue. Even after styling one of these wigs, pulling the hair in all directions with some tension whilst cutting and blow drying, it simply does not move! It’s brilliant! If it can endure this kind of treatment, it can endure any kind of activity.
Gripper Wig Overview
- Available in five different sizes – XXS, XS, S, M & L. The XXS is small enough to fit even the most petite head, usually.
- Available in 11 beautiful colours
- Genuine European Hair, delicately refined.
- Lace front on all Models to create a natural hairline.
- Available in three models – Gripper Cool, Gripper Sport, Gripper Luxe.
Gripper Cool – the original, most popular and best value (i.e. least expensive).
Gripper Sport – for those desiring extra ‘grip’ and security delivered through extra gripper silicone strips through the interior of the wig. Designed for the professional and amateur athlete, gym junkie and generally active person who may perspire more than average.
Gripper Luxe – all hand tied, custom order
What I like about the Follea Gripper Wig:
- The Hair – Follea is famous for it’s high quality European Hair, I call it the ‘Prada’ of the hair addition world. Follea uses genuine European hair on the Gripper, it is delicately hand processed, it comes standard with ‘straight with body’ hair. This means the hair has ‘movement’, it creates texture, flow and natural body. It’s easy to style and looks beautiful! I particularly love the way the hair behaves so naturally in the wind.
- Security – The Gripper wig technology is creates a very secure fit, it won’t come off under normal and most abnormal circumstances. Just be aware that it must be a snug fit.
- Comfort – the silicone gripper technology is soft, pliable and comfortable. It should not cause any skin irritation.
- “Breathability” – my clients report how cool it is, it allows your scalp to breathe and perspiration to evaporate, creating a cooling effect. You will love being able to feel the wind and even the rain on your scalp.
- ‘Lightness’ i.e. is doesn’t weigh very much. Compared to other wigs, you will almost forget you have it on. If you currently have a suction wig you will find that it is at least 50% lighter.
- Natural Hairline – the Gripper uses a Hollywood style lace front, individual hairs are implanted on the front edge to create a natural hair line. You don’t need to use any tapes or glue on the front due to the superior fit. The lace will lay flat on your scalp without them. This makes it hassle free and improves the life of the hairline. Excellent!
- Durability – the base or membrane of the Gripper wig is made from silicone, which by nature is long lasting. You can expect this base to last you a good couple of years, even longer. The greatest point of weakness is the lace front, but since you don’t need to use adhesives on it you can expect to have a superior life span.
- No Hair Loss – after using the Gripper for over one year, I have not seen any hair loss. This is not say that there won’t be some as it ages. What it does mean is that you should expect to have a very long life from a Gripper Wig.
- “Correct Hair Density” – some wigs can be too thick especially around the sides and back and it doesn’t look natural. Not so with the Gripper. They have intentionally directed the hair flat (sides and back) so the hair will always sit the way you want it to. If you ‘swish’ your hair, it will easily go back into position, just like your own hair used to.
- “Passes the blow dry test” - even in the windiest conditions you cannot see through to the wefting. Many Hybrid wigs lack this quality. In true Follea style and commitment to quality, they have added an extra 50% hair wefts to achieve this objective. It allows the wearer to feel supremely confident.
- Weft support - Follea have overlaid and sewn supporting stretch material onto the hair wefts. This allows the wig to retain its shape and structure for much longer. The wefts will not go out of position, buckle or accidentally ‘stick out’. Most other hybrid wigs do not have this and after a short while the wefts can stretch out and start ‘bunching’ up. Overall, it adds to the life and durability of the wig.
What you may not like:
- The shape of the hairline around the sides, over the ears and nape – The gripper is designed to sit on the ‘bone’ of the scalp, not the soft tissue. (i.e. the ‘fleshy’ part of the scalp where you can feel the fat tissue, muscle or anywhere that the skin may move when the head rotates). This means the ‘temple’ hairline tends to sit a little further back than your own natural hairline and a little higher over the ears and where your ‘sideburns’ would usually be. The hairline around the nape is also a little higher in order that it doesn’t rest on the muscles just below the occipital bone. In saying that, I have not had a problem with styling the hair. It always looks natural.
- Feel of the Silicone – some have found when they first put it on that the Gripper feels unusual due to the new silicone that they have not tried before. Silicone is a unique substance and it is different from other materials used on wigs. This sensation usually soon passes, and it’s an overall enjoyable experience. The many other benefits of the Gripper wig quickly outweigh these potential negatives.
- Shaving – the Gripper works best on clean smooth skin. If you have hair growing underneath you are advised to shave it regularly. Otherwise, it will tend to grip onto the hair, not always a pleasant experience.
In conclusion, the new Gripper by Follea is a great innovation in wig technology especially for the Alopecian. They will love so many of the benefits the Gripper presents; it’ lightness, coolness, breathability, security and comfort. It will allow you to engage in life in a new and fun way. Any negatives it may have are a result of a functional trade off, which for the benefits it gives certainly outweighs any negatives.
Do you want to see the Gripper in action? Click here to watch a video on the Follea Gripper wig.